As part of a wider project of new building works and reordering including a new worship hall and new in-house lighting, mains electrics, kitchen, community spaces and redecoration throughout DM Music designed, supplied and installed new audio, induction loop and visual systems to aid in more varied and modern worship and to enhance engagement with the wider local community.
Working in close coordination with the main contractors, electricians and the church itself the PA & AV systems were tailored to offer both very simple, non-technical day-to-day operation and also more advanced, full worship band capabilities, all with careful consideration of aesthetics and equipment security suited to this busy church which offers many facilities and benefits daily both for internal worship use and for the wider local community.
Key Audio System Items:
- Martin Audio Blackline-X-series speakers & CSX sub-woofer
- Installation grade power amplifiers & digital loudspeaker processing (DSP)
- Allen & Heath Qu-16 digital mixer system & remote digital stagebox
- 4 channels Sennheiser ew100 G4 series wireless UHF radio microphones & remote antenna system + Licensing
- Wired microphones for lectern, general ambient pickup etc
- Under-floor Induction loop system for the hard of hearing to current regulations
- Surgex mains power sequencing/conditioning/protection
- Bespoke wooden PA/AV operator console & equipment racking
- Audio relay to Crèche area & cabling for optional future additional audio relay to other areas
Digital Audio Mixer Systems
Based around an Allen & Heath Qu-16 digital audio mixer system with remote digital audio stagebox the PA offers up to 16 audio channels, multiple audio processing features, USB playback & recording and with the option to add customisable wireless iPad control. Well suited for operators of various technical abilities including simple preset recall of differing setups for speech, music playback and live band use etc as required plus additional advanced operator training was provided to allow the church to make full use of the ‘full live band’ capabilities of the system.
Simple User-Friendly Features – ideal for non-technical operators
– Simple memory recall button (Softkey) for easily recalling standard settings
– ‘Softkeys’ for simple activation of USB recording etc
– Touch-screen operation & motorised faders for simplicity
– On-board USB playback & recording
– Single Custom Layer function prevents accidental/unauthorised access
– Permission function prevents accidental/unauthorised access to key system settings
– Optional programmable iPad control App allows ultra-simple iPad control page(s)
Digital mixer Advanced User Features – Live Band etc
– Full control of all input and output parameters including EQ, dynamics, routing etc
– Multiple digital effects processors
– Remote digital stagebox for instruments, microphones etc connectivity
– Options for full wireless control via iPad & Band personal monitor mixers, iPad control
Multiple compact, smart Martin Audio Blackline-X loudspeakers installed in the main worship space provide even audio coverage throughout the church in conjunction with installation-grade power amplifiers and system optimisation supplied by digital speaker processing (DSP) and the controlled sound dispersion of the loudspeakers themselves. Full-range audio for live band use is provided by inclusion of a compact 12” sub-woofer (bass) speaker CSX112*.
Additional relay ceiling-recessed speakers provide audio to the Lobby / Crèche area with a simple local wall mounted volume control for monitoring services, plus additional cabling for optional future addition of relay loudspeakers in other areas throughout the building.
*Contrary to popular conception, sub-woofers (bass speakers) need not necessarily be large, conspicuous or very loud. However, they do offer the proper handling of the low-end audio frequencies to allow the smaller (main) speakers to run more efficiently and optimally for the mid and higher frequencies, including for speech reinforcement in certain systems. Therefore a system with subs actually offers a better overall sound quality and clarity and these are certainly quite vital for use with full-range audio such as with live musical instruments.
PA/AV Console & Equipment Racks
Starting with concept drawings and later computer-aided designs, a large bespoke wooden PA/AV operator console & racking was constructed to offer housing for the main PA/AV control and amplification equipment, including tamper-proofing features such as a lockable lid and doors. Careful consideration was taken to closely match other interior wooden furniture and décor.
- Custom, computer aided design to offer smart, low-profile appearance
- Desktop for PA & AV Operators – for audio mixer, laptop etc
- Real wood laminate finish
- Two main 19” rack bays for amplification & control equipment
- Spare rack space for future additions & upgrades
- Air ventilation in rack doors, access panels
- Lockable, removable desktop lid & lockable doors & access panels
- Inc. mains power sequencing / conditioning / protection system
- Inc. discreet, tidy cable management systems throughout
Other PA Equipment
Ancillary equipment includes 4 x professional Sennheiser ew100 G4 series UHF with analogue hand-held and lapel radio microphone systems on annual fixed site licences, also including a remote radio antenna distribution system for solid radio coverage throughout the church.
Multi-format CD / USB audio playback including Bluetooth wireless connectivity for smartphones etc
Mains power sequencer/conditioner systems offer electrical protection, correct system power-up / shut-down sequencing and master on/off control of all the PA/AV the systems.
High quality slimline “pencil” condenser microphone mounted on the Rostrum is an “industry standard” mic – as see on TV! With excellent pick up and anti-feedback characteristics and a highly effective but discreet, built-in anti-vibration shock-mount.
Key Visual System Items
- 2 x Large 70” diagonal ‘commercial-grade” flat-screen monitors at the front
- Additional ‘confidence-monitor’ screen for worship leaders, band etc visual relay at the side
- Professional AV switcher/scaler to integrate multiple inputs to high quality upscaled outputs with seamless switching and for operator simple AV source select
- Active AV signal relay via industry recognised standard ‘HDBaseT’
- Simple wired remote control panel for AV screens on/off, image blank etc
- Active, smart-switching AV input sockets for laptop connection at the front & at operator console
Two large 70” (diag) LED, 16:9 widescreen format monitor screens at the front with ‘Commercial Warranty’ for use in public places offer excellent image brightness & clarity compared with projected images, a key requirement for the new worship space hall with its many windows and efficient new lighting systems and which also require no ongoing maintenance.
An additional smaller ‘confidence monitor’ screen on an adjustable mounting arm at the side wall offers duplicated image viewing for worship leaders, band etc at the front.
Simple screens on/off and image blank control is supplied by a wired control panel at the PA/AV operator console.
A Professional AV switcher/scaler at the console integrates multiple AV inputs & formats into one, simple to operate unit for high quality, seamless switching of AV source material to show on the screens. This also auto-switches audio alongside the selected video source so only needs one audio input to PA system and includes spare inputs for future additions / expansion.
AV Signal Distribution: HDBaseT
A multi-way AV signal distribution amplifier feeds high quality images to all screens and also offers capacity for future AV relay expansion into other rooms.
The recognised AV industry standard protocol HDBaseT for video, audio & power over cable runs of up to 100m allows interconnectivity for compatible equipment from multiple manufacturer’s to allow broad system design options, future-proofing for later additions and also accommodates HDCP compatibility for playback of copyrighted disks or files.
AV Laptop Input Sockets
Active AV input connection sockets at the worship space front area and at the operator console allow simple connection of PC/laptop & video sources into the AV system. Provision of both HDMI and VGA (with audio) connectors includes auto-detect and auto-switching for simplicity of use.